First posted: 25 November 2009
Last update: August 2014
Forest tree species being manipulated:
- Rubber tree
Aim of genetic manipulation
- More rapid growth rate to increase yield
Those carrying out the research:
- The Rubber Research Institute of India
Involvement with foreign research partners
Those who provide support to research:
Regulatory framework for research and field trials:
- In 2012, the Federal government gave authorization for field trials
- It was reported soon after this federal authorization that the state of Kerala wanted to maintain its status as state free of GMOs and Maharashtra formed a commission to study the issue in all its aspects.
- In 2012, field trials were approved by the federal government with GE rubber trees in the states of Kerala and Maharashtra.
Organizations opposing GE trees:
- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/08/09/eatrees109.xml http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/aug/11/gmcrops.biofuels