As a response to the violents events of last December in Sarawak (see WRM Bulletin nr. 7) faxes were sent to political, Policy and Justice authorities of Sarawak and Malaysia expressing our concern for the arrest and shooting of Iban natives that resulted in the death of one of them, and the violation of their custommary land rights. We appealed to conduct and inmediate and fair investigation on these facts that would lead to the punishment of this offence against Iban engaged in peaceful protests, and to make sure that Native Customary Rights are definitevely respected.
We ask to send faxes/telegrams/letters before 22 January (the day when the Iban will have to appear at the Magistrate's Courts):
- expressing concern at the death of Enyang Ak Gendung after being shot by police officers while unarmed in front of his longhouse;
- calling for an immediate and impartial investigation into the shooting, arrest and ill-treatment of the Iban;
- calling for the findings to be made public, and for those responsible to be brought to justice;
- urging the Magistrates to do justice to the Iban by treating them as victims of unlawful activities rather than violators of the law;
- urging the authorities to guarantee that Native Customary Rights to land and forest will not continue to be violated; concerning the present case, the Sarawak government is urged to revoke the provisional lease issued to Empresa(M) Sdn. Bhd. as it affects the native customary land on which the Iban have prior and subsisting native customary rights;
- urging the police and the police field force as law enforcement agencies to be neutral and fair in their law enforcement duties and particularly to respect and enforce the law on native customary rights to land, the constitutional rights to property, and the rights of private defence of property.
Messages are to be sent to:
YAB Dr. Mahathir Mohammed, Prime Minister and Minister of Home Affairs, Jalan Dato Onn, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
YAB Dato Seri Anwar Ibrahim, Deputy Prime Minister
and Minister of Finance, Jalan Dato Onn, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
YB Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Abdul Taib Mahmud, Chief
Minister of Sarawak, Tingkat 14, Wisma Bapa, Malaysia, Petra Jaya, 93502 Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
YBhg. Tan Sri Abdul Rahim Noor, Inspector General
of Police, Police Headquarters, Bukit Aman, 50560 Kuala
The Rt Hon. Tan Sri Dato` Seri Hj. Mohd. Eusoff
Chin, The Chief Justice of the Federal Court, Bangunan
Sultan Abdul Samad, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The Chief Judge of the High Court in Sabah and Sarawak
Judicial Department, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
Please send a copy of your letter to:
- Borneo Resources Institute.
- World Rainforest Movement.