First posted: 1 August 2008
Last update: August 2014
Tree species being manipulated:
- hybrid aspen (Populus)
- silver birch (Betula pendula)
Aim of genetic manipulation
- flowerless trees (silver birch)
- fixation of carbon dioxide
- wood formation and stomatal regulation
Those carrying out the research:
- Finnish Forest Research Institute
- Research Programme on Environmental, Societal and Health Effects of Genetically Modified Organisms (ESGEMO)
- Joensuu University
- Helsinki University
- Eastern Finland University
Those who provide support to research:
Regulatory framework for research and field trials:
- field trials monitored by the Finnish Board of Gene Technology
- Non-flowering silver birch 1000m2 trial of the University of Joensuu at Joensuu. Proposed period of release:12/06/2005 to 31/10/2008.
- The Helsinki University received approval for a field trial of about 2,000 m2 for the period 2013-2018 about the wood formation and stomatal regulation in GE hybrid aspen; it will start in 2014
Organizations opposing GE trees:
- Three Finnish environmental NGOs (the Union of Ecoforestry, the People´s Biosafety Association, and Friends of the Earth Finland) launched an international campaign against GE trees in 2004.
Actions by unidentified actors:
- A field trial belonging to the Finnish Forest Research Institute with Silver birch was destroyed June 18-21, 2004. The trial destroyed was located on the northern side of the Savonlinna-Punkaharju road. All of the nearly 400 seedlings planted in the fenced and locked site of 2000 square meters were broken off or ripped from the ground.